Friday, October 5, 2012

RTR Art Review 10/5/12

Return To Ravnica Art Review 10/5/12

Hey kids!
Here's my take on some of the artwork in the new Ravnica set.
I love the game and all the strategies it lets you play, but I also dig the art.
At GPs, I like getting cards signed by the artists and asking them where they got
their inspiration. Let's see if we can make some guesses and see how they did.

Chaos Imps
Fail.
Wikipedia says that "An imp is a mythological being similar to a fairy or demon".. not a baby dragon.
Here's what imps look like, Mr. Jacobson. You're welcome.
Destroy The Evidence
Wow, I have never seen someone in the foreground and an explosion in the back.

Doorkeeper

Hey, look who showed up from Pixar!
Hellhole Flailer
This guy takes me back to a card in Odyssey - strike a pose!
Hover Barrier
Anyone else get a 2001:Space Odyessy flashback with this one?
Keening Apparition
I call this the Dawson Creek card. Hubba, hubba!
Martial Law
I remember the guy in this card in a Goya painting from 1808. He sure gets around.
Necropolis Regent
This one is similar to a card from the previous set! Just in the other direction. Must be related.
Pyroconvergence
This guy is using similar equipment to a card from Nemesis.
Seek the Horizon
This artwork's angle seems familiar.
Stab Wound
Sssssss! Ow! Sssssss! Ow!
Traitorous Instinct
When I see this...
I think of this...
Much better.

---
So today's is RTR Release Day. No more Launch Parties, but at least we get the new packs. I'm playing FNM draft tonight and a sealed event on Sunday. Next weekend is GP San Jose with Team Sealed. Should be a blast. I hope to test with my homies some time this coming week. We will open 12 packs, build 3 decks and test them out. Then in three weeks, I'm going to GP Philadelphia. Cheesesteaks and the Liberty Bell. I'll be sure to write up a report on both.
Thanks for reading!






No comments:

Post a Comment