Monday, October 1, 2012

Mythic RTR Prerelease 9-30-12

Here we go again. @ Mythic 11am for RTR Pre on Sunday.
All the SC riff raff and some SF riff raffs joining in the fun.
Going Azorius this time. Will law and order uphold the dignity of Ravnica? What?

My pool:
Azorius Justicar
Soul Tithe
2x Keen Apparition
Avenging Arrow
Sunspire Griffen
Tros' Judgement
2x Seller o' Songbirds
2x Trained Caracal
2x Armory Guard
Fencing Ace
Azor Arrester

2x Tower Drake
2x Cancel
2x Doorkeeper
3x Inspiration
Aq Steed
Dispel
Syncopate
Inaction Injuction (what's your function?)
Skyline Predator
Soulsworn Spirit
Isp's Skywatch

2x Terrus Wurm
Mind Rot
Ultimate Price
Ogre Jailbreaker
Grim Rastabout
Daggerdrome Imp
Desecration Demon
Tavern Swindler
Sewer Shambler

Batterhorn
Electrickery
GH Chainwalker
Lobber Crew
Tenement Crasher

2x Rubbleback Rhino
Chorus o' Might
2x Urban Burgeoning
2x Stone Croc
Horncaller's Chant
Axebane Guardian
Drudge beetle
Oat St. Innkeeper

2x Sunder Growth
Heroes' Reunion
Centaur Healer
3x Goblin Electromancer
Nivix Gmage
Izz Charm
Grisly Salvage
Dreg Mangler
Sluicy Scorpion
Treasured Find
2x Skull Rend
Hellhole Flailer
Search Warrant
Judge's Familiar
Isperia Supreme Judge
Righteous Authority
Hussar Patrol
Archon Triumviate (promo)
Golgari Keyrune
Volatile Rig

Hallowed Fountain
Blood Crypt
Az, Rak & Golg Gates

I went crazy and built two decks: Azorius and Jund with the Rig swapped into both.
The Az deck had 5 detain cards, 10 flyers and Isperia and Authority. The plan was to survive until the late turns to cast my bombs. The Jund deck was more play dudes and beatdown deck. The removal was sparse in both. The Demon was my only bomb in the Jund.

(Not going to list the decks to save space -- they were pretty straight-forward.)

Round one vs. the great Sean Keenan (playing Az)
So Az vs. Az can be slow and this round went to time. I mulled to 5 first game and we both played detain dudes (detainees?) until my songbird got the Authority on it. A 7/7 flyer that drew an extra card? OK!
Game two was more of the same race but got my Sphinx out and drew 5 cards one turn. They were all lands (running hot), but I still got there just as time was called. Whew! 1-0

Round two vs. the great Mike Cartmill (playing Rak)
Here's a matchup I did not want to play. Fast beats vs. my small dudes? Ugh. Game one I saw Dreadbore, Dynacharge, Augur and Electrickery. Woof.
Game two I sided in counter like a madman. My only hope. I dispelled his 'Trickery and Cancelled his Augur. Got out my Archon. He managed to play Traitorous on it, but I survived and won next turn.
Game three was beats back a forth, but my counters worked and my flyers got there. 2-0

Round three vs. Neil playing Rak
Super. I started with 2 lands and should have mulliganed. He played Destroy the Evidence on my land and it was downhill from there. I dealt him no damage. Time to swap decks!
My Golgari deck splashed red for 'Trickery and the Lobber. Love the Lobber! Got out the Demon on turn 4 and then more dudes for some big swings. Got there on a Chorus o' Might.
Game three was more beats, but his removal held up. Played Destroy again and did a 6 card mill. Needed the lands in there. Ugh. 2-1

Round four vs. Andrew playing Rak (did I play all of them?)
This time I got the Demon against me. But my Seller sac'd a songbird for it and later I played Judgement on it. Second game I kept my Az deck, but my detain guys were no good vs. his 2x Keyrunes. They key-runed my day. Game three, he hit all his removal and big unleashed guys. I played the Authority on my songbird, but he Augur'd it. Prolly should have kept that for a bigger toughness dude. 2-2

52 players in the tourney today and prizes to the top 28. Can our hero make it?

Round five vs. Joe playing Golgari with red splash
Didn't write many notes on this match, but my score sheet says I did all the damage in games 1 & 3. I remember one time my Rig blew up and killed 3 of his dudes. Sweet! I also remember he said the f-bomb a lot. Like every time I did damage to him. Like 16 times. Too funny. 3-2

Good for 15th place and 2 packs!
Larry and Paul both went 5-0 and Paul got first on breakers. Way to go, guys!
Props:
Mythic for a clean, well-lit, breezy space to play. Some of the tables were small, but no stinky smells!
Jason for running a 5 color deck. Or 4? Either way, you are my hero.
All the Magic brothers who chatted and goofed in between rounds. Great to hang with y'all!
Ian, for having a birthday and organizing the post-pre after-draft. Sorry to miss it!

Slops:
Russell for being one too many on the waitlist. Shoot! But he cleaned up at Epic in SV. That-a-boy!
Me for not rolling for beers. I'm such a wimp. Worst case is buying brews for my bros. Next time!
Missing the Niners kicking some NY tail. Way to bounce back from the Viking loss.

Next weekend is the Launch Party. Will they do the cool bento boxes again? If not, let's get a sweet promo card, mm'kay?
Spencer is ready for more Magic!
Ryan after hearing my "keyrune" joke...

No comments:

Post a Comment