Monday, January 6, 2014

GPT SacTown at Mythic 1/5/14

Major conflict! Watch playoff football or play in the GPT...
or


I chose Magic and am so glad I did.

Drove to Mythic for the noon start time and put 8 quarters in the meter.
It would be a long day of card flopping. Met Greg & Russell bros and Ryan who already had 2 byes, but wanted to root us on. He'd also keep us posted on the football scores back at Woodstocks.

Marina was judging the event and Boland and Nathan were also in the mix. Got food at TJ's and prepared for battle. 17 wizards were gathered.

I opened the mythic Kraken and very good green fixing with 3 Nylea's Presences and 2 Voyaging Satyrs. But nothing else of substance. Glad to pass that one on.

I received a pool with great black, green and white. The black was Grey Merchant, Thoughtseize, Sip, Emissary, 2 Disciples, Ordeal, Harpy, Read Bones and 2 Cures. But the green/white cards were made for aggro. I love aggro. Fleecemane, the white Ordeal, Soldier, 3 Snarecasters, green pump spells, and a splash of blue for Daxos, Wavecrasher, Nimbus and Battle Hoplite.

**Looking back after the games, I saw an even better deck with the red I got passed. 2 Warcallers, 2 Border Minotaurs, 2 Spearpoints, Cyclops and Lightning. Possibly BR would have been nuts!**

Round one vs. BYE - yes, that's right. A free win! Went to Woods with Ryan for a beer and a slice. It was so crowded, we had to sit outside and watch the game through the window. Ryan flirts with a server. She's cute!

Round two vs. Bryan - nice guy, but I curved out both games with dudes and threats. Easily outraced him and finished with Set Griffin both games. Feeling good!

Round three vs. Conor - he had opened my pool and knew my cards. We played 3 very close games but he won it. I could have won in the last game, but didn't attack with my Warden for the last point. I was thinking I needed it back for defense, but he beat me the next turn for exacties. Argh!

Round four vs. Boland - He mulled to 5 and I curved out and won the first game. But he came back and squashed me in 2 and 3. He had all the removal for my dudes. I kept a sketchy 2 forests, scorpion and non-G spells hand last game and he tore me up.

Round five vs. Daniel - I was ready for a battle. I needed to win to get in. My tiebreakers were good with the 1st round bye. He went to talk to the judge and came back and we started. I played two lands and a two-drop. Marina came over and said he couldn't get his prizes early if he won and so he conceded. He had to leave and shook my hand. Wow! Thanks Daniel!

I was into the Top 8! My second in two GPTs. Greg and Boland made it too but Russell was out. I technically only won one round, but still made it. Onward to draft!

Sat between two guys I didn't know in the draft. I hope the good cards come by me. Opened the first pack and saw good green with Asp, Time to Feed and Anthousa, but took the only black card, Gorgon. It has built-in removal and is a sweet 2/5 death toucher. Then I got passed a Sip. Snatch! More good black and then the white Emissary came my way. I love that card. Also got a Scholar and Divine Verdict. Pack two was lackluster except for a Sentry. What's not to like? Got passed a Merchant and felt very good to be in black. Also got an Evangel, so I grabbed every black and white card I could. They both had devotion, so I would see which I could get more of. A Phalanx Leader was a late gift as well as another Sentry. Third pack rare was the indestructible Colossus. Meh. Got the black Ordeal and a Marauder. That card can just win games. Also a Valor, Baleful and Observant. I had a slight aggro build with 2 Sentries and removal.

Game one was vs. Greg. Oh no! We both need the byes, so we had to play. He played UG and had 2 Horizon Chimeras out versus my 2 Sentries. Used removal to clear the way for victory. Game two was more interaction, but I used the Emissary to tap down blockers for the win. Sorry Greg!

Game two vs. Boland. A rematch! But he politely conceded to get me into the finals. We decided to play anyway, but he suffered major mana screw both games and I won easily. Thanks Michael!

Game three finals vs. Bryan. Another rematch. I beat him in the first round today and here we were in the finals. I asked him if he was going to GP Sac and he said it depended on his work schedule. I told him I was only interested in the byes and he could have the 13 packs. He chatted with his girlfriend and he said "deal". We would play for the VIP coupon. He was running black blue with the Colossus. My deck was too fast for him game one. He got out the Colossus in game two, but my Emissary tapped it every time I attacked. Then Marauder finished it with unblockable white creatures. Winner!

Got the byes! Ryan gave me a bear hug - we are bye brothers! I am so stoked! And the Niners won too. What a crazy, but fun day. Thanks to Mythic and Marina for a great GPT! See youse in SacTown.

No comments:

Post a Comment